Thursday, October 18, 2007

FISH!!! (and a job)

Oh my god.

I'm like a kid here with these fish. They were given to me as a birthday present by Xiao Fei, the girl that was briefly my girlfriend and whom is now and always will be a dear friend/little sister. Two bowls, with two fish per bowl, and I'm freaking out with love for the lil' squirmers.

Ya'll that know me know that I am not and have never been an animal person. Six too many dog-bites when I was small; it's not that I don't like animals, it's just that I don't trust them, I don't feel comfortable around them. I acknowledge that humans are far more dangerous and unpredictable than animals, but people I can handle-- I'm good with people. I suck with animals.

But these fish-- they're SOOOO cute. And not just cute, but peaceful. Relaxing. They swim in their bowl. I go to class. They swim in their bowl. I come back. They're still swimming! Something about this triggers an intense pleasure in my soul--- I'm delighted every time I look them.
Also, having fish in your room does wonders for your feng shui. I put the fish on the windowsill across from my bed, and their bowls fill with sunlight... the convex shape of the bowls distort the fish, bending them into hilarious clown-faces. I put colorful stones and bits of plant-life in the bowls... now there's water and rocks and plants and animals all in my room, like a splendid little garden that I see every morning when I wake up!

I LOVE FISH!!!!


Other exciting-- but non-fish-related-- news: I sent out my resume to a bunch of Chinese companies, and one of them responded. "Brain Sky": unclear whether that's the name of the company or the guy who founded it, or both. In any case, they're a boutique ad consultancy business located in Dalian, and appear to have a quirky dot-com-esque office culture. They're looking for an English translator, and want to meet me for an interview. It goes down on Monday. Will keep ya'll updated...

No comments: