Friday, May 4, 2007

Chili Chili Chili


My three co-workers and I went to lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl today-- we actually spent $25 in cab fare to go eat a bunch of chili dogs. But man, was it worth it-- I polished off a Half Smoke, some Chili Fries, a root beer, and a chocolate milkshake... by the time I got back to work I was already working on some severe artery clogging.

On the ride there, I chatted with the cabbie (partly to be nice, and partly to try and get on his good side and avoid being super-overcharged... DC's cab fare rules are medieval.) I told him we were going out to Ben's because I'm leaving town soon and the one thing I had to have before I leave DC is a Half Smoke... and it was only some time after I said it that I realized it was true.

Sure, I'll miss friends, but I'm used to saying goodbye to people I care about, and besides, I take a part of them with me in a way. But Ben's......... well, it's going to be tearful farewell.

When I die, I want someone to bury my heart in a gallon-sized bucket of chili and cheese and cast it into the ocean, so that I may at last become one with nature, and with chili.

No comments: